Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

13 TIPS ON HOW TO TAKE BETTER PHOTOS IN 2018



It's 2018, and like me, I think you still want to grow more in photography. If you think you're already better with your photography skills, this post is not for you. This post is for those who are still willing to learn and to grow in the art of photography. It still remains our everyday goal. . .  but the question is HOW?

I have to write these learning/ideas of mine so I won't forget.

Here are my 13 tips on how to take better photos in 2018.


1. SEARCH, READ, AND LEARN

There are lots of tips and tricks you can find on Google and they offer lots of learnings. Today, learning is already in the tips of your fingers compared to the good old days where learners have to buy expensive instructional books + limited in quantity. Today, use your finger then search. Read some materials and watch some tutorials.

2. DON'T APPLY WHAT YOU'VE LEARN

Sounds stupid, right? But don't stop reading. Yes, you did your research, you read and watch some Tutorials/Tips and Tricks. . . I tell you, don't apply those things, instead, OWN IT, and IMPROVED IT. 


3. KNOW YOUR GEAR

How many of you read the manual of your camera? I bet 90% didn't. I did too but I tried reading the manual 3 years after I bought my camera, I did learn many useful things. 

Like the ancient sayings: "Know thy self" it is still true today. Know your gear. If you know your gear's strength and weakness, then you know how to handle it in any situation.

Adapt and Improvise!

4. JOIN PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP

It is always better to join a workshop. There are lots of things you can learn from workshops. You can clarify things too. I join workshops too but those free workshops only. I can't afford to join rigid photography workshops. The inputs in free workshops are very minimal but still, you can learn (This is the reason why I mentioned #1) + you'll meet new friends who love photography too. 

If you are willing to learn and you can afford, Invest in Education.


5. BE WITH OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS IN ACTION

Tagging with photographers on their work will help you improve your images. You will learn how they capture moments and how they tweak their gears. During these times too, you can borrow and try their new gears too. It's nice to try first other lenses before buying a new one. We all know it's very expensive. So, try first and assess if that lens will deliver your needs.


Trying new lenses are cool. It can give you new frame views. If you are stuck with your lens kit, try a telephoto lens or if you are using nifty 50, try wide angle lens. A new perspective and it can motivate you more in photography.

6. MAKE A PORTFOLIO WEBSITE

Its either you go pro or not, it's better to have your own portfolio showcasing your shots. A web page where you can look back at your masterpieces. In terms of "Views", a website portfolio is better than your printed portfolio. It's open to the netizens so your work will be noticed by many around the world and it means more potentials.

There are lots free social media or websites were you can set up your portfolio. I use blogger.com and weebly.com as my portfolio sites. 

7. MAKE PRINTS

I use to print some photographs I made but when my photo printer got broken, I stopped. All photographs I took are now lying on my Hard Drive. 

Why am I telling you this? Have you ever read a letter written on a stationary paper? Compare it to a letter sent via text message or e-mail? There's something special in a written letter on a paper that you can't explain. You can describe it but at the same time, you can't fully describe it. Same with photographs, looking at printed photographs, you get inspired, you get the feeling of awe. 

If you can afford to prints some of your best images, do it.


8. TAKE IT SLOW

The world is in its fast phase where everyone is trying to beat time to be on time. In photography, we need to take it slow. We need to stop and cease the moment. We need to stop to see the extraordinary in the ordinary. We need to stop and notice our surroundings. We need to stop and make a photograph.


9. AVOID PRECONCEIVED IDEAS

Social Media today showcase the most powerful and creative images we can ever imagine, but some of these images are copied from one photo to another. A known personality posted an image of flower facing the sun. He used a certain filter to enhance more his image. He posted it on his Social Media Account and it went viral. Yes, indeed the image is so cool and amazing.

“HAPPY” - When you put your happiness on things, you’ll never get it full!

Later, somebody asks what filter did he used, or how he edits it. Then, someone posted another image of a flower facing the sun + using the same filter and gain more likes. . . then another one, and another one. . .

All I am saying is, why copy someone's style? Why make a photo based on how others see? Why not take and make a photo the way you see it, the way you like it, and the way you feel it?

Here are some readable materials I posted before:

A. THE ARTIST'S EYE: IDEOLOGY VS. INFLUENCE

B. THE ARTIST'S EYE: BYAKUGAN

C. THE ARTIST'S EYE: SHARINGAN


10. TAKE YOUR CAMERA WITH YOU ALL THE TIME

Having a smart Smartphone today, this principle is no longer a problem. You are always with your camera or shall we say, your camera is always with you. If there are times that you can bring your camera that has a manual mode, do it. Just like what I said in my previous post (click here), "DSLR is still the king and Queen of Photography"


By the way, most of my photos posted on this blog are captured by a very cheap smartphone.

11.  DON'T GET PRESSURED

While some are doing better with their style and some have better optics and camera bodies than yours, never get pressured because first, you have your own style (unless you are just copying other styles, I think you don't want that). If they have better lenses, you still have your own lens, even if it's an entry level lens, it can still deliver if you know how to do it.

Note: If you get blurry images because your gear isn't that fantastic, don't delete it until you see in on your computer screen. Blurry images are sometimes dramatic and cool, at least for me.


Yes, better gears can help you get better shots easier, but it does not mean your ordinary camera can't get better or a best shots too.



12. DO SOME SELF PHOTO CHALLENGE


I was inspired when I overheard someone a few years ago saying "Take a picture each day. Every day of the month. At the 31st day, look and observed your shots. You'll see the difference." I know what that person means. So, I decided to challenge my self. Plan a photo challenge but sad to say I can't finish my challenges and some of my plan remains a plan only.

Photo challenge is obviously gonna make you improve yourself in photography. Take a photo each day even if you're too busy with work, or too lazy to get up if you want to improve, DO IT.


By the way, I am starting my new challenge this year: A Compendium of 365 images. I have to take and make photographs every single day, then I'll choose one and post it on my Facebook page (Click here) then later on this blog. I hope I can finish it coz am excited by the Idea of finishing it.


13. ENJOY TAKING PHOTOS

It's self-explanatory. If you can't find happiness in photography, it is not for you. What's the point of taking and making photographs if you are not happy with it?


Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. Great tips! It took me many years to learn how to use my camera and still learning!


    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna - Alina. Me too, am still learning up until now. I kinda found out it's not an easy learning process. You have to practice seeing everyday til it becomes like a habit. :D

      Delete