Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

SOMETHING WE DIDN'T KNOW


Whazzup Everybody! Do you know that there are things we know but we really don't know? I mean you know that it is there, it's very common to all of us but you don't know what it is? 

I was asked by a friend about what the little ball at the tip of a ballpoint pen is called. I know that there's a very tiny ball attached attached to it but I don't know what its called, I just replied "ball".  Do you know what its called? I bet you know but like me you don't know what it's called.  So I googled about things we know but we don't know. Here are some common things I found. Scroll down and learn something new from something not new.





1. GRIFFONAGE
A careless handwriting : a crude or illegible scrawl

This represents my handwriting, LOL! I was once called an M. D., not a Medical Doctor but "Murag Doktor" (Like a Doctor) becasue of my penmanship. LOL! 



2. AGLET
The plain or ornamental tag covering the ends of a lace or point

I know you've seen this since your childhood days and you are aware of this thing when you tie your shoelaces... do you know what its called? Now you know!



3. BIRO
Used for a ballpoint pen
Remember my introduction? The ball at the tip of a ball pen is called Biro. Uhm... Okay! Binibiro ba ako nito? Biro ba talaga to? Hahahaha!!!



4. CORNICIONE
The raised rim of the pizza 
This is what most non-pizza-obsessed folks call the "crust." But of course pizza freaks know that the entire bready base of the pizza is the "crust," so we need a special term to talk about just the rim of the pizza. Why call it that way it's difficult to memorize... I still prefer calling it "crust" hahahaha!



5. CREPUSCULAR
of, resembling, or relating to twilight.
Now, we know that the sun rays whom Edward Cullen love is called cresup... crespuscu... can we just call it "Sun Rays"? LOL!


6. FERULE
The metal that used to hold the eraser of a pencil
Oh, I love to bite this when I was in my Elementary days. Raise your hands when you did this when you were young!



7. GLABELLA
The smooth prominence between the eyebrows
When were kids, adults told us that it's one of the basis if a person is seloso (jealous type) or not. If one's eyebrows met at the center, they are jealous person.



8. LUNULA
The whitish mark at the base of a fingernail

When I was a kid, I really thought that it's a new finger nail growing under my finger nails.



9. NUTTIFORM
"Shaped like the hull of a ship." or the butt-like line

Actually, any thing shaped like a butt is a nuttiform... So, watch out of your pants. Make sure your nuttiform is not expose or else someone might drop a coin in it like a piggy bank.



10. PHILTRUM
The vertical groove on the median line of the upper lip

I know this, because when I was a kid, grown ups kept telling me that if you might see a person without a philtrum is an engkanto (not-like-ours) or an elementals.



11. PHLOEM BUNDLES
The annoying strings of bananas

Duh, I hate this too...


12. RASCETA
Transverse creases of the skin on the palmar surface of the wrist.

All I can remember about Rasceta is it's the venue for you to see how many kids you'll have in the future. Hahahaha... childhood days!


13. SHEATH
A cover for the blade of a knife or sword.

I always thought that a sheath is a piece of paper: One whole sheath of paper, ma'am? LOL! 


14. ZARF
A holder, usually of ornamental metal, for a coffee cup without a handle.

I called it a sleeve or a jacket back in the days... Now I know, it's called Zarf. Is this owned by Zarf Efron and produced by Zarf's Burger? bwahahaha ang corny! hahaha



15. TINES
A prong or sharp point, such as that on a fork or antler.

I called my friend Tine of Xtine's Escapism, and have lots of friends having the name Christine, wahahaha. Now I know, Tine of Xtine's Escapism, Hahahaha!


15. THREEK
The three edged fork is called Threek

So, it also mean that a four edged fork is called FOURK? 



16. VAGITUS
The first cry of a new born baby

All I know is that the first cry of a baby is still a cry. I don't know till now that cries has names hahahaha! The following cries of a baby is called, vagidos, vagitres, and so on... hahaha!


17. Punt - Wine Punt
Those dimples at the bottom of the wine bottle

All I know those called dimples at the bottom were designed to lessen the amount of wine inside the bottle... well if you want to know the reason why there's a punt in a wine bottle, Aliza kellerman explains.





Post a Comment

0 Comments